Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Like the Old Adage Goes . . . You Learn Something New Every Day

 
I am a self professed non-techie. I don't tweet or twitter or whatever it is you call doing that thing. Nor do I do Instagram, Snap Chat, or any of the other myriad of like-minded things. Facebook and my blog. That's it and it's enough for me.

Unfortunately, I've let a little - okay a lot of time pass since my last post but thanks to Virginia and her inspiring talk given at last Saturday's SCBWI regional meeting, I'm feeling that fire she lit under me and I'm excited about starting again.

What's funny about this whole thing, and the reason I chose this topic for my post, is that Virginia talked about the importance of building a presence online, even before you are published. She also showed us some statistics from her blog, things like the number of page views, unique visitors, etc.

I was intrigued enough to ask if all blogs track statistics, thinking that one day it would be nice to see how many people are reading my posts. Because of course, I knew that as of my last post a year ago, I only had six followers and very rarely did any of them ever comment.

So tonight, before composing my new post, I thought I'd check to see if my blog had the capability to track statistics. I could NOT believe it when I saw all the stats for my previous blog posts. I had something like 1400 all time page views, including 19 yesterday and 36 for last month. Keep in mind that I haven't posted in over a year. I had no idea, until now, that a google search of a keyword could bring up my posts. Kinda cool . . . for a non-techie.

No comments:

Post a Comment