Tuesday, August 21, 2012

A Fantastic Book About Fantastic Flying Books

If you watched the Academy Awards earlier this year, or happen to live in Louisiana, then you've most likely heard about The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore. A book that Louisianian author, illustrator, and filmmaker William Joyce wrote and then made into a short film (with collaboration from Joe Bluhm on book illustrations and Brandon Oldenburg on the film), it won the Oscar for Short Film (Animated). I've not actually seen the film but the other day, while standing in the children's section of the bookstore, I slowly read this magical book, pausing to take in the splendid illustrations and savor every charming word. I read the last page, realized I had tears rolling down my cheeks and quickly looked around for witnesses to my quiet, emotional moment.  Minutes later, my son announced that he had found his book and was ready to leave. I was still holding the beautiful picture book in my hands and didn't want to leave it behind. I felt like Morris Lessmore; I had found a magnificent book and wanted to read it again and again. I wound up buying the book for my Goddaughter's upcoming birthday and hopefully she will love it as much as I do. Someday I'd like to see the Short Film but in the meantime, I'll visit my Goddaughter and we'll read the book together, again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment