Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A Hodgepodge of Stuff

Today I have several items I want to share with you. The first is a website that I found while researching names for my characters. It's called Behind the Name: the etymology and history of first names. www.behindthename.com  You can browse names in a variety of ways; by popularity, country of origin, biblical or mythological names, etc. I even searched by meaning, needing a name that would be very specific to my character's journey.

Next item on the agenda is the 50th anniversary edition of
The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats. It has 8 pages of bonus material including a picture of Mr. Keats and Madeleine L'Engle at the awards dinner for the 1963 winners of the Newbery and Caldecott Medals. They won for their books A Wrinkle in Time and The Snowy Day, respectively.

And that leads me to my third item. Lena Roy is the granddaughter of Madeleine L'Engle and also an author. www.lenaroy.com. Her first book, Edges, was published a little over a year ago but I just recently finished reading it. It's a very well written, character-rich study in addiction, told from the view points of the two protaganists, Luke and Ava. With New York City and Moab, Utah as the backdrop, we are both saddened and hopeful for our MC's on their journey.

Until next time, happy reading and writing everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment