Monday, March 14, 2011

The Hero's Journey

Back in December, I talked about plotting my novel because I had been writing without one and it was losing it's direction. Well, over the past couple of weeks, I've been working on an outline but I got stuck because I was trying too hard to figure out all the little details. I took out my notebook and came across several pages of notes I had taken while watching a program on t.v. Unfortunately, I didn't write down the name of the program or the group that produced it but it was essentially a how-to for writing the hero's journey using Star Wars as the model. I had such fantastic notes from this program that I wanted to find out more. After doing an Internet search, I discovered that George Lucas based his Luke Skywalker hero's journey on the writings of Joseph Campbell, specifically, The Hero with a Thousand Faces. Little did I realize how influential this work has been since first being published in 1949. Other stories that follow the Campbellian monomyth, or hero's journey, are the film The Matrix and the Harry Potter books.

I used this information to revise my outline and, while not done, it's in a much better place than when I started. I also realize that my WIP needs some pretty major revisions but I've got forward momentum on my side and I'm pretty excited. The Hero with a Thousand Faces will be my next purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment