Friday, July 30, 2010

New Territory

Well, here it is, the end of July and I'm just now posting again. What a busy (but fun) summer it has been. Last night was our critique group meeting and, since I missed the previous one, I was anxious to hear the consensus on my forray into MG territory. Much to my relief and excitement, they all liked it. In fact, they liked it better than my PB's. Wow. I may be onto something here. I will definitely continue full-force with this novel and see if I can keep up with the newfound expectations of my group.

I'm afraid I have to admit that I just finished reading A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle for the first time. http://www.madeleinelengle.com/ I was a voracious reader as a kid and can't imagine for the life of me how this one slipped by. What a fantastic story! I can't believe it was written almost fifty years ago when so many of the elements ring true today. But I guess that's what makes a classic...stories with timeless themes.  After this book, I'm even more fascinated by character's names. How does one pick just the right name for their character? How did Madeleine L'Engle choose Charles Wallace's name? (The best name in the book in my opinion.) Of course there are many websites that will help you come up with character names and offer guidelines such as, picking a name relevant to the era of the setting of your story or choosing a name that reflects the personality of your character. In the end though, the author has the enormous task of selecting that moniker which will bring someone to life and stick around long after the story is done.

Duty calls. Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! Names ARE hard! But for WIT, there's not much mystique around Charles Wallace: he was named after my grandmother's father, Charles, and my grandfather's father, Wallace. And thank you for introducing yourself to me on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we're glad you're back from vacation and I'm definitely looking to chpt. 2 of your MG. Wrinkle in Time is one of those books on my shelf that I just can't help re-reading every couple of years. :D

    ReplyDelete