Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Why Write?

There are good days and there are not-so-good days. Today is a not-so-good day. I don't feel like writing so, other than my blog, I'm doing non-writing tasks like reviewing other blogs, checking out agent websites, etc.  These things are important in the writer's life too so I shouldn't feel bad about doing them. It's just not as fulfilling as working on a story.  That being said, I know there are times when even our WIP's fail to excite and we wonder why we're doing this. And then, we have a moment. For me just now, it was looking at the stack of library books next to me. All PB and most of them very good. The book on top, however, is my favorite of the bunch. It's title is The Happy Lion by Louise Fatio.  The cover states,  "The 50th Anniversary of a Classic." I don't ever remember reading it before although it's entirely possible I did as a child. It's a fantastic, clever story with an unexpected ending. And I just love saying "Bonjour,  Happy Lion" several times throughout the book. It also has wonderful illustrations by Roger Duvoisin. Anyhow, seeing that book sitting proudly on top of the pile reminds me of why I'm doing this: I want to make someone smile when they read my book, the way that I smile when I read The Happy Lion.

Why are you doing this??

2 comments:

  1. I think the writer that is truly successful is the one that creates the most memorable characters. It is the characters that keep the reader turning the pages and it is they who keep us writing. I've often heard the words, "I can't stop even if I want to and I believe it's true because our characters will not allow it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I don't know why I feel I have to write, or draw, or do theater, basically anything creative. For me, I think it must be built into my genes. If I'm not creating something, I feel like the day was wasted. And then I get grumpy. LOL.

    ReplyDelete