Tuesday, May 4, 2010

A New Idea For My Posts

Lost Ladybug won out for critique rights this week. I actually sent my group an almost-finished manuscript on Saturday but I was able to work on it this morning and resent them a finished manuscript.  I'm really happy with the direction I went but it is only the third draft. It's likely to change considerably.

Looking forward to having our critique group meet every three weeks now through the end of summer. We should collectively be able to crank out some good stuff. Some teaser posts by said members of the group have indicated that Saturday's conference went well. I'm sure I'll hear some good stuff from them on Thursday.

Well, two manuscripts went out to the lit agent today. Hopefully she likes them enough to want to forge a relationship with this eager new author. Stay tuned...

I read a great post today on fineprintlit.blogspot.com about BLOGGING. It's perfect advice for new bloggers like me who are still testing the waters and haven't really found a groove yet. One of the suggestions they had was to talk about books so I've decided that with each of my posts, I'm going to review, critique, or talk about a children's book of my choosing. That being said, today's book is called The Clown of God by Tomie DePaola. One of my favorites. I read it to my sons tonight before bed and I think the oldest sensed the lump in my throat that was forming as I neared the end of the story. Happens to me every time. A wonderful folktale that has been retold many times, it essentially tells of a man who's livelihood is entertaining people with his juggling. And even when he's old and not as polished with his tricks, he still manages to give a gift of himself to the sad little boy. Oh man, just writing about it is bringing the lump back. I highly recommend this story if you've never read it.

4 comments:

  1. Fingers and toes crossed for you on the agent front, and cool: book reviews! I have never heard of The Clown of God, but now, of course, I want to check it out. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clown of God is a new for me too - I'll add it to my list of books to check out at B&N on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aha! I just looked this up in our county library database, and it had a pic of the cover. I HAVE read this, but so long ago that I can't remember the nuances anymore. I placed a hold on it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also new to me, will check it out. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete