Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Humility and Tenacity

Our critique group had a great meeting last Thursday. Stories were shared about the SCBWI MI conference and Megan even put some of her newfound knowledge to work on my critique. I feel like I got the benefits of being there...without actually being there. And speaking of critiques, Lost Ladybug went through the wringer. In a good way. That's the thing about critiques- unless you are an uber-gifted writer, your work can't possibly grow without them. It's very humbling to have so many flaws pointed out, but, isn't it better to have your critique buddies lower the ax, as opposed to an editor?? I shall get back to work on it so that it's ready for our deadline in eleven days.

I'm afraid I don't have an update on the lit agent. It's been a week since I sent my two WIP's and I haven't heard anything yet. Of course I've had all kinds of horrible thoughts running through my head. Only natural, right? The reality is that she probably had a busy week and didn't have a chance to respond. In any event, I'll let you know when I hear something.

My book review for this post is The Journey That Saved Curious George: The True Wartime Escape of Margret and H.A. Rey. What a fascinating story! Margret and Hans fled Paris on bicycles in 1940 to escape the Nazi invasion. After a harrowing four month journey, they would arrive in NYC and just one year later, their little monkey would became famous. This non-fiction children's book was researched and written by Louise Borden, http://www.louiseborden.com/, and Allan Drummond provided the positively charming illustrations. http://www.allandrummond.com/  I actually keep this one on my bookshelf because the kids won't appreciate it until they're older.

Until next time...

3 comments:

  1. Great post, Cari. Curious George is so well known and loved by almost all, but what a back story. Now I have to see if the library has the story of Margaret and Hans. It is definitely a must read. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I love it when you guys 'lower the axe'! Critiques are funny things. It's such a relief when you guys point out to me not only what was wrong with the piece that I couldn't put my finger on, but suggest fixes that I couldn't, or wouldn't be able to come up with on my own. :D

    Keep positive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes no news is good news. Hope you hear soon.

    ReplyDelete